Evitable

completely avoidable commentary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, United States

Just another Southern gal stuck in the midwest, making the best of it by taking advantage of the great coupon deals, enjoying the three weeks of summer each year, and writing about it all here.

10.17.2006

The Most Overused Word in the English Language

I love God.
I love my spouse.
I love my parents.
I love my friends.
I love my neighbor.
I love my cats.
I love the United States of America.
I love reading.
I love autumn.
I love traveling abroad.
I love The South.
I love chocolate.
I love the way my hair looks today.

4 Comments:

Blogger W.B. Picklesworth said...

It's true that we tend towards hyperbole these days. I think we try to express ourselves this way because there's so much "noise". To be more reserved almost seems inanimate. You're right though.

12:18 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Tater, I'm so glad you dropped by. Knowing you were here always make me smile. Great use of the word love in your comment, too! ;-)

Uncle Ben, I think you're right in your observation about too much noise.

But I think also there's just an inherent flaw in the English language. English doesn't distinguish between agape, philia, and eros. I don't think it's grammatically incorrect* to say in English, "I love pizza," but in my opinion because that is allowed, our perception of true love (true agape, true philia, true eros) is skewed.

*if I'm wrong, let me know. I'd love** to learn more about this.

**I used the word love without consciously realizing it.

9:12 AM  
Blogger W.B. Picklesworth said...

Here's an added thought. The French language doesn't even distinguish between like and love. Both are aimer. So we are not alone!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Well, the French are weird anyway. ;-) But seriously that must make it interesting/difficult to have one word mean so many different things.

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home