Evitable

completely avoidable commentary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, United States

Just another Southern gal stuck in the midwest, making the best of it by taking advantage of the great coupon deals, enjoying the three weeks of summer each year, and writing about it all here.

8.29.2006

Bahamas, Here I Come!

Well, okay, so I won't actually be anywhere near the Bahamas for another 13+ months, but I am planning on going. My SIL* suggested we take a cruise together, and I cannot be more thrilled than I am now. This is a SIL that I really like, but we live several hours apart and don't often see each other, and I am really looking forward to spending time with her away from the guys. The cruise doesn't sound too shabby either.

We don't have many definite plans yet. We're thinking we'll cruise out of somewhere in Florida (yes, I know, that doesn't narrow it down very much) to the Bahamas on a 4-day, and it won't be until October or early November 2007. She has never cruised before, and I have cruised on Disney and Royal Caribbean, both to the Bahamas. I can't imagine a more wonderful budget-conscious** vacation. It's true that cruises aren't as all-inclusive as they used to be, but based on the information I've found so far, they're still very reasonably priced. Plus with over a year to save up for it, that'll help cushion the blow to the budget. Of course another down-side to living in the midwest is that you have to buy airfare to get to the cruise port. If I lived in Florida.... (Oh, wait, I already did an "I miss the South" post.)

I'd be happy to hear from anybody who has cruising advice. Specific things I'm comparing right now include the following: Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean; Nassau and a private island vs. Nassau and Freeport; and travel agent vs. on-your-own.***





*Technically she's not really my sister-in-law. She's my husband's brother's wife, and that's one too many removed to be a sister-in-law. But "SIL" is so much simpler to type than "my husband's SIL," so that's what she's going to be.

**I can imagine several more wonderful vacations, but they all would involve the liberal use of somebody else's credit card, and that doesn't seem terribly realistic.


***I should note that I worked in the travel industry for years, and I'm familiar with the fact that the travel agent gets the commission from vendors, not from me. But there have been new fees that have cropped up in recent years while I have been out of the travel industry, and I haven't decided yet if I need/want a travel agent or not. I am a micromanager by nature, so planning is fun for me. The travel agent would be there just to call in case something goes wrong and/or to handle any trip insurance issues or logistical nightmares caused by cancelled flights, etc.

2 Comments:

Blogger Margo said...

The hubster and I are planning a cruise for the same time to the exact same place! Neat!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Connie said...

Cool, Margo. You and I will have to help each other plan. :-)

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home