Evitable

completely avoidable commentary

My Photo
Name:
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota, United States

Just another Southern gal stuck in the midwest, making the best of it by taking advantage of the great coupon deals, enjoying the three weeks of summer each year, and writing about it all here.

10.25.2006

Confessions of a Math Geek

I'm a math person. I've always been a math person. In middle school and high school I won all kinds of math contests and had a blast doing so. I still have the trophies and plaques and ribbons in a box somewhere.

When I worked at Disney World, we had a 40% off discount on merchandise in the two months leading up to Christmas. My friends would always want to go shopping with me because I could look at the price tag and tell them the discounted price instantly. (It's really quite simple. 40% off is the same as paying 60% of the normal price. Just multiply the price by 6 and move the decimal point one place. A $20 item would be $12.)

My current hobby/job is getting us great deals with coupons and rebates. I often earn money on products that I "buy" this way. Really it's just a math game with prizes.

My favorite class that I ever took was Differential Equations. I want to go back to school to take Calculus III so that I have the prerequisites to take Partial Differential Equations. That would be a fun class.

But....

I stink at ordinals. I don't know what my problem is with them, but I stink at them. Maybe I'm allergic to them. Maybe I try too hard. But I always mess them up. My parents were married in December 1966. Last year, in December 2005, I sent them a bouquet of roses. After all, their 40th anniversary was a big deal. Sure, except it was their 39th anniversary.

For this past Father's Day, I gave my dad a present that said on it "Happy 30th Father's Day." That's great, except that this is his 31st Father's Day. He was a father the summer before I turned 1.

Oddly enough, if you ask me what century the 1800s was, I can correctly tell you it was the 19th century. But I think about it longer than I should have to before I answer.

Don't tell any of my math teachers; I'm too embarrassed. If you see them, tell them instead that I want to take Partial Differential Equations for fun and when I get bored I work systems of algebra problems to kill time. X's and Y's and derivatives and integrals I can handle. But man, those ordinals are hard.

4 Comments:

Blogger Margo said...

Math scares me like Jason Voories.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Prairie + Sky said...

English Major <-------- However, I do understand a good sale!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Kat Coble said...

I don't hate math anymore, but I'm not a natural math person.

However I am a HUGE Disney World geek and am still stuck at the "you worked at Disney World" thing.

4:51 AM  
Blogger Connie said...

Kat, I worked at Central Reservations for 3+ years in the late 90s. It was so awesome, especially since I wasn't working *in* the theme parks. That way when I went to the theme parks, it still felt like a Disney vacation. Unfortunately, I haven't been back to the Disney parks since I worked there. I am long overdue.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home